Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back to School

Ethan's 1st day of preschool!!


So as we are 2 weeks into school now, I thought I would finally blog about it. Ethan started preschool this year at the Montessori school (actually the same one my siblings and I attended). He goes every day from 1-4 in the afternoon! And he loves it!! Each day he looks forward to going and just walks right in...usually without even turning back to say bye to me! After his 1st day, his teacher said, "Ethan seems so easy-going" (not always the case at home as he tends to be pretty demanding--but he is usually good for other people!) and they also have been impressed with how well he recognizes the letters and numbers and knows their names. His class only has 12 kids, so it's becoming a nice close knit group. Ethan told us tonight that his 2 new friends are Griffin and Ryan (from school) because they are silly. His favorite thing to do at school is to clean windows! (you might be thinking that's weird, but the Montessori method calls the various activities "jobs" or "work" and part of what they do is life-skills...ie. washing windows. Also part of the Montessori method is that it is child-led, they are able to pick what they will learn and work on {of course sometimes the teacher helps guide them to new areas of interst too}-and they learn at their own pace through the various hands-on activities).
My 1st day of school!
And my classes have started back up again too. I'm taking 2 classes this fall (and then will have 2 to take in the spring before graduating). For the class I take on campus, I'm blessed that my mother-in-law and sister can be available to watch the boys. It will be a busy semester for me--one of my classes is Developmental Research Methods...designing and carrying out a research project and then typing it up into a long paper! But at least I'm almost done. And I'm hoping with Ethan in school in the afternoon, that can become my homework/studying time each day (if I can coordinate Grant's nap right!)

2 comments:

Jean said...

How exciting! I didn't know that Ethan was in a Montessori program. I have read Maria's books, and years ago helped a friend along her way of becoming a lic. montessori teacher. I had thought once a long time ago about doing the training also, mostly just to make more money are my preschool (not a very good reason I am sure) I think her ideals work great for preschool, I'm just pretty sure I would have never ever done any math ever if no one made me! LOL

Momma and Lexi said...

Research methods stinks! Good luck with that class :o)