Yes, this post is all about one of the highlights of Motherhood--potty-training! I love not dealing with diapers--but this has been one of the biggest headaches of my life! If only kids were born toilet trained!
We decided to dive into potty-training full-on after Ethan's 3rd b-day in Oct. We had been talking it up for weeks/months, had a small potty he had used a couple of times, we bought the "cool, big-boy" undies, had a chart to put stickers on when he had success, bribed him with small prizes of candies and bigger ones like ice cream cones or Happy Meals...and even a really BIG prize for being totally potty trained--a Cranky the Crane to go with his Thomas the Train wooden train set.
I'm happy to say that we have made progress from Oct! He had soooo many accidents when we first started and didn't even mind being wet or messy (we have kept him in undies or naked pretty much every day--except when he's having an upset tummy day--he had some type of stomache bug for the longest time). Now he can go for fairly long stretches without needing to go--which makes outings easier. And if we sit him down on the toilet, he goes. But we have to keep a close eye on him (for the potty dance) and if we get too distracted and forget to take him potty--then he has an accident. Because only rarely does he initiate a trip to the toilet!
So yes, I still wouldn't classify him as "trained." We have had a few accident free days!! And every so often (more frequently lately) he's started telling me he needs to go! But other days I'm cleaning up wet and/or messy undies all day long!! So it's made for a cranky/frustrated mommy--which I'm sure is not helping the process!
I just keep thinking why is it taking so long? And what am I doing wrong? I know part of it is just Ethan's stubborn/independent nature. But then I'm sure part of it is me...I'm not sure if my approach was right or at least the way I have dealt with it. As long as he can do it by himself by Aug. when preschool starts!! Until then I guess I just have to be patient--and keep praying he'll figure it out!
2 comments:
I know how you feel! Caden was potty trained but now gets to playing and wets his pants. It is very frustrating!
He'll get it eventually. Sorry you're so frustrated. :(
Post a Comment