Activities we did:
-planted our garden (at least most of it--Jon needs to move branches off the back part of it)--and watered it, and the grass, and the fence, and each other, and filled the sand box with water to make a "hot tub" (that was our "water" day)
-put celery stalks in colored water for a science experiment to see how they "drink" the water and watched the leaves turn the color of the water
-my boys enjoyed a "field trip" day playing at Grandma's house
-we cut pictures of food out of magazines and then used them to play a game. One that I had read about was to cut a "happy" face mouth from a paper bag and a "sad" face bag to have them sort food according to what is healthy ("happy") and what is not healthy ("sad")--but since I like to not really focus on good/bad foods, but rather that all foods can be part of a healthy diet in moderation, we decided to do "go, slow, whoa" (check it out here) bags--that were green (go--healthy foods that you can eat almost any time), yellow (slow--sometimes foods, don't eat everyday) and red (whoa--once in a while foods).
-Ethan practiced writing words related to food and garden (carrot, apple, garden, plant, tree, etc) and then drew a picture of a robot planting a garden
-We used seeds (bigger ones like corn or pumpkin) to practice counting and simple math problems
Other things we could have done: color a picture of our garden, paint with food (instead of paintbrushes), play carrot, carrot, corn (variation of duck, duck, goose), pick out a new fruit/vegetable from the store to try, or a food collage with pictures from the magazines.
The books we read this week were (and these are a both picture/story books and non-fiction):
Lettuce Grows on the Ground- Mari Schuh
Apples Grow on a Tree- Mari Schuh
Growing a Garden- Mari Schuh
Carrots Grow Underground- Mari Schuh
Measuring in the Garden- Tracey Steffora
Carrot Soup- John Segal
This is the Sunflower- Lola Schaefer
My Garden- Kevin Henkes
Planting a Rainbow- Lois Ehlert
Growing Vegetable Soup- Lois Ehlert
One Watermelon Seed- Celia Barker Lottridge
Eating the Alphabet- Lois Ehlert
3 comments:
Wow!! It sounds like you had a great week. I am impressed by the variety of activities! Grace is becoming much more active and likes to be busy all the time (some might call her high maintenance :-) ha!) I can see how having a weekly theme with lots of activities could be good for her.
I think you've just won funnest mom of the week! :) That's AWESOME! I loved reading about this. I'm super impressed. I love so many of those ideas.
Post a Comment