Thursday, March 13, 2014

Kid Updates

Since my last post was mostly about my challenges and struggles as a mom, I thought I'd do one about some of the great things about my kids!  (and a thank you to my family and friends who reached out in response with love, support and comments of "your feelings are normal")

What I love about Elise at 22 months is that her little personality is coming out more and more.  She is feisty and stubborn, she will only do something if it is "her" idea.  She is talking more and more, especially in repeating things we say.  One of the new things she says a lot is "I do" like when asked if she'd like more food or if she likes something--it's cute the way she says it too!  She listens so well--even when I'm not telling her something, if she hears me give the boys directions, she will often try to do it herself, or go repeat to them what I said (her words aren't totally clear--but you can tell she's being the bossy little sister and getting after them about something!).  She makes animal noises when we look at pictures or talk about animals. She's such a daddy's girl--she's so happy to be around her dad and is more willing to agree to something if he's helping her with it than me.  She loves to read books and she's started to sing (again the words aren't really clear, but they have a sing-songy way to them), and she loves to look at pictures of people she knows.   Here's a couple videos of Elise in the last couple months--excuse the ragamuffin look...I have no idea why I only take videos when she has messy hair and a messy face/runny nose!

this one is from Dec

this video is from Feb (thanking Aunt Joanna for the Valentine's card)


Our little helper

All dressed up for church


A couple of weeks ago, Grant had his 1st visit to urgent care (ok, maybe not a "great" thing about him, but a recent event).  He and Ethan were wrestling over who got to play with mom's phone (I don't really like when either of them do), and ended up hitting/bumping his ear on the coffee table and split open the top part of his ear.  We debated whether it was bad enough to go in, but decided to take him in.  They glued it shut and today you can't even see much of a scar.  Grant was also chosen as the Panther of the Month for his class in February.  He was able to stay and have lunch at school (happened to be during Ethan's lunch period too) and was presented with a certificate and "paw-print" zipper pull.  Grant loves being a big brother and most of the time plays well with Elise. He likes being artsy and making crafts and he is always making us laugh with his funny comments.  He and Ethan were playing good guys/bad guys the other day and Grant told us he was "arm-rested" by Ethan (arrested--but I guess since they put the handcuffs on your arms that's where he got arm from).  One of his recent crafts was creating "ear mugs" (ear muffs) from paper cups stapled to paper.  



Ethan is doing really well in school this year.  He's a math wiz and loves to read too.  After bringing basically the same lunch all of 1st grade and the first half of 2nd grade, he has finally tired of peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  So now we're back to the dilemma of what to send with our ultra-picky eater (who half the time just nibbles on lunch anyway)!  Ethan's been busy passing off achievements for cub scouts and is looking forward to making his pinewood derby car.  Ethan still loves games (of all varieties) and will happily play them any chance he gets.  He's especially in to older kid/adult thinking type games: chess, ticket to ride, qwirkle, stratego, and rummikub.  Or for his weekly x-box time (if he earns it), his new favorite is Civilization.



Both boys are great swimmers--we just wrapped up another round of swim lessons!  And we're signed up to start soccer next month!

Hard to believe, but I am 30 weeks pregnant today!  It has been flying by.  I feel pretty good--just the normal pregnancy complaints.  Baby is growing well and we're looking forward to the arrival of this new little one.

No comments: